Quick guide to know whether your carpet must be replaced following a water damage
Dealing with the water removal, drying and disinfecting, and dehumidification following the devastating effects of water damage from a pipe break in your home in Paris, TX can be very upsetting. In addition you need to see that the cause of the water damage is remedied, and undergo repair or replacement of many elements of your home. How do you decide your carpet can be dried out and re-stretched to live out its normal lifespan? It may possibly be saved, but that depends on the type of water that has saturated it. There are three different categories of water that may affect the decision.
1. Clean Water If the water comes from a pipe break or leaking water supply line, then likely the carpet could be dried out and saved for re-use. If the carpet itself is heavily soiled or it is left wet for an extended period of time, it can deteriorate further. If resolved early on, the carpet can usually be saved.
2. Gray Water Gray water comes from an overflowing toilet, or from a malfunctioning dishwasher or washing machine. It may contain urine and other bacterial or virus components but no feces, and can also deteriorate. The decision to keep carpet exposed to Gray Water is a tricky one and may depend on the speed of removal and whether an effective disinfection process can be undergone.
3. Black Water The worst of the three categories is Black Water. It may come as a result of a sewer backup or other situation where feces, microbes or harsh chemicals may be present. It involves careful handling to extract, and careful attention to subsequent disinfection and disposal of contaminated items. It requires replacing your carpets.
Call SERVPRO of Paris following a pipe break to help you take care of the necessary water removal, cleanup and restoration of your home and belongings. They can help you make the hard decisions about whether replacing your carpet is necessary and help restore a safe and comfortable home for your family.
Signs You May Have a Shower Leak
When you walk into your bathroom in Paris, TX, you expect to see a functioning tub, shower, toilet and sink. Sometimes, however, these fixtures spring a leak and cause unexpected water damage. You may be able to notice signs of a bathtub leak before the damage becomes detrimental to your home. Working with a residential water cleanup team can help you find flooding issues quickly.
1. Water Stains: Water stains can show up around the walls of your tub and shower, but they may also make their appearance below your bathroom. If the bathroom is on the second floor, you can check for signs of a shower pan leak by looking at the ceiling under the bathroom. If it's on the first floor, you may need to go into the crawlspace or basement to look for signs of water stains.
2. Grout Cracks: Tiled showers can show signs of a leak too. When the moisture gets trapped behind the tiles, it tries to come out wherever it can. This leads to cracked grout lines. Sometimes you may even notice cracks in your tiles.
3. Loose Flooring: A bathtub leak can also mess with the flooring in your bathroom. Whether you have tiles or vinyl floors, you may notice the building materials has become loose. If tiles wiggle when you step on them, it could be a sign there's a leak. Laminate flooring, on the other hand, may start to curl up when introduced to too much moisture.
4. Peeling Paint: Look at the walls around the tub and shower. Do you notice peeling paint or falling down wallpaper? This could be a sign that there's moisture being released into the walls.
A shower or bathtub leak is something you want to catch as soon as possible. If you leave this problem to fester, it can cause major damage to your walls, insulation and flooring. Call us at SERVPRO of Paris is you need any help with possible leaks and inspections. 903-784-2700
Steps to help minimize and prevent further water damage.
There’s no such thing as a small disaster, especially when you have water damage in your home. Water damage can affect the value of your property and if not cleaned properly, may cause major problems over time. Don’t leave your property to chance, call SERVPRO of Paris. Consider the following steps to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for help to arrive.
Damage from Clean Water
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified professional to do so.
- Remove as much excess water possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture to a safe place.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water; electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets as they may cause staining.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, as there is potential for electrical shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet; do not enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Damage from Contaminated Water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air. Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminants.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to contaminated areas.
Unclean Airducts in Your Business?
After a cool Winter, many will be turning their air conditioners on more and more as the temperature rises. But, indoor air can get polluted with dust, allergens, and other small particles. If you are concerned about your indoor air quality, you might benefit from having your air ducts cleaned. Having your air ducts professionally cleaned may make a difference in the overall quality of your indoor air. And, cleaning your air ducts may also help your HVAC system function more efficiently.
When it comes to air duct cleaning, homeowners often have many questions. Here are a few of the most common:
Does a professional air duct cleaning really make a difference? A professional air duct cleaning can benefit you in more than one way. First, the cleaning will remove dust, debris and other pollutants from your air duct system. This can be beneficial to anyone living in the home who suffers from allergies, has breathing problems, or is sensitive to pollutants. Second, clean air ducts can result in a more efficient HVAC system. When your home’s ventilation system is clean, it can function more efficiently – which may ultimately save you money on your monthly energy bill.
How often should I have my air ducts cleaned? Unless you are in the midst of a home renovation project or you live in an area with extremely high pollution, you should not need to clean your air ducts more than once a year. In fact, after your air ducts are professionally cleaned, you may not need another thorough cleaning for several years. For advice on how often you should have your air ducts cleaned, make sure to ask your air conditioner repair company. If the air conditioner company does not offer air duct cleaning services, they should be able to provide you with the name of a reputable company to call.
Can I clean the air ducts in my home myself? Many homeowners wonder if they can clean their home’s air ducts with their own vacuum cleaner. In reality, it is practically impossible to clean an air duct system with a regular vacuum. Air duct cleaning companies use special equipment that is designed to specifically clean air ducts. As a homeowner, one of the best things you can do to prevent pollutants from infiltrating your air ducts is regularly change your HVAC system’s air filters.
Is a professional air duct cleaning expensive? The cost of air duct cleaning services varies. Factors that are taken into consideration when an air duct cleaning company provides you with a quote include the number of air ducts in your home, the age of your home, the length of time since the air ducts were last cleaned, the current condition of the air ducts, and more.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
5 Steps to Remove Odors From Your Business
If a flood hits your business, there may be a strange, unwelcome odor permeating the air and displeasing customers, employees or yourself. Depending on the source, there are multiple ways to treat the problem. Whether it’s mold growth or something else, you can act to remove the smell with these five steps.
1. Ventilate the Building and Evaluate the Situation. If there is a window or door that can be opened, it should be. This allows any lingering scents to disperse. You can then work to identify and locate any centralized, problematic scents still remaining in your business building. Once the problem is located, you should decide how to proceed. If sewage loss is causing the odor, it’s best to stay away from the contaminated water and contact a professional.
2. Dry Wet Carpeting and Flooring Carpet holds moisture rather well, and it may be the source of the scent that is overwhelming your business. A wet and dry vacuum, which can be rented if needed, can shampoo the carpet and then dry it afterwards. This sanitizes the area to potentially remove some of the bothersome smell.
3. Scrub Moldy Surfaces Mold growth left alone will continue to reproduce and spread along with its musty odor. Any visible growth on a solid surface can be treated with thorough scrubbing using a solution such as vinegar.
4. Spray Furniture and Upholstery If you have access to a spray bottle, furniture can be sprayed and scrubbed the same way as hard surfaces. However, porous materials are likely not able to be fully cleaned this way, since the fungus settles deep within.
5. Consult Professionals for Extensive Cleanup Not everything can be done without commercial grade machines and proper procedures. An expert storm and mold damage treatment company can help remove problems caused by floodwater and other water damage. When dealing with flood odors, most do-it-yourself remedies will fix only the symptom. With an expert team’s help, you can remove most of the unwanted smells alongside any mold growth or other nuisance.
How to Handle a Misfire of Fire Sprinklers
Fire sprinklers are great to many businesses for their ability to stop fires in their early stages from consuming more property and becoming costlier. In some situations, these systems can unexpectedly trigger when there is no fire. This leads to flooding and its associated expenses. You can act to mitigate the water’s threat by understanding the causes of defects and how to stop the system during an incident.
Causes of a Fire Sprinkler Gone Awry Sprinkler systems have safeguards to stop them from deploying except during a fire. There are several circumstances that can cause them to errantly deploy:
• Frozen pipes causing pressure to break pipes and leak
• Abnormal heat from abnormally hot weather or roof damage letting heat in
• Damage to the mechanism by service work done in or around the ceiling by yourself or others
• Vandalism for scrap parts or with the intention of committing insurance fraud using arson
• Metal corrosion from stagnant water in the pipes or sprinklers
Stopping the Water From Causing Property Damage.
The most important step for stopping sprinklers from flooding your business it to identify where your business’ water shutoff valve is located. You should familiarize yourself with its operation, so you can stop the sprinklers if there is no fire. In case you are absent, other trusted employees should also be informed of it.
Water damage can ultimately be prevented with occasional professional inspection of your fire sprinklers. Proper maintenance ensures the system will deploy only when you need it. It’s good practice to make sure the sprinklers are clear of obstructions and not used to hang decorations. Misuse risks damaging the units.
Handling the Aftermath- Your insurance should be contacted and informed of the fire sprinkler malfunction to work out coverage. A professional water damage restoration crew is preferred to handle water removal and repair. Your actions impact the total cost of such services. With proper measures taken before and during a defective sprinkler incident, you can prevent extensive flooding to your business in Paris, TX.
How SERVPRO Helps During a Disaster
How SERVPRO Helps During a Disaster
During a natural disaster in Paris, TX it can be expected that there will be a large amount of damage to the area. When this happens, it is important to call on a reliable service for disaster recovery. Here are just a few reasons why SERVPRO is a leading choice during emergencies.
- They Can Handle Any Size Disaster
When a large disaster occurs, it can cause a devastating amount of storm damage. It can take a lot of work to get the rebuilding process completed, starting with mitigation and ending with restoration. Whether it’s a flood, hurricane, tornado or blizzard, they can handle any kind of disaster. Their large-loss specialists are trained and qualified to take care of an emergency of any size.
- They Are Available Nationwide
SERVPRO has over 1,700 franchise locations across the nation, so they can arrive quickly wherever they are needed for disaster recovery. Corporate locations can provide any needed equipment to franchise locations so that they have the right tools to get the job done. When extra help is needed in a particular location, teams from other areas can be called in for help.
- They Are Always Ready
Because they are open 24 hours a day and are available any day of the year, SERVPRO is always ready to come to your aid. Their quick storm response time means they can start working as soon as possible to mitigate any property that has been affected by the disaster. Getting mitigation done in a timely manner means that there will be less overall damage and the restoration process will take less time and money to complete. When you are in need of a disaster recovery service, you should choose a company that can work well while completing mitigation and repairs as quickly as possible. With highly-trained professionals that are always available in many locations across the country, SERVPRO is an obvious choice.
SERVPRO of Paris understands your situation. As an agent or adjuster, you have a responsibility to keep claims costs down while still providing the best services possible for your customers.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are uniquely qualified to help. Our results create a measurable difference, giving you many competitive advantages.
Emergency Response to Claims
Restoring property is the SERVPRO Franchise Professional's first priority. Your customer will appreciate the immediate response and you will know everything is being done to limit the damage.
Pretesting Reduces Claims Expense
Restoring property is less expensive than replacing property. Claims Professionals know the rule is, "Restore whenever possible, replace only when necessary." SERVPRO Franchise Professionals make sure pretesting is completed on every loss to determine restorability.
Claims Inventory Service
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals can provide an itemized loss inventory. You will receive an Excel formatted report and pictures of important items.
Electronic Claims Information
Our Claims Information Center provides fast, accurate information you need to make sound decisions, including:
- A Complete Electronic Job File.
- First Notice of Loss.
- Detailed Estimate.
- Digital Loss Photos.
- Scanned Forms and Paperwork.
- All delivered by email or hard copy.
- Online Access to All Files.
- New Assignments.
- Pending Jobs.
- Completed Jobs.
- Informative Reports to Improve Results
- Performance Comparison to Industry Standard.
Why SERVPRO is the Right Choice to Make
All of our employees that enter your home are trained to safely clean and restore your home or business after it's faced a loss.
Below are the steps that we take for Cleaning and Restoring Your Home or Business in regards to a water loss:
- Identify the Source/ Type of Water
- Measure Temperature and Humidity for Drying Analysis
- Survey the Extent of Damage and Inspect the Premises for Hidden Moisture
- Perform Emergency Water Extraction
- Move and Block furniture and Contents
- Inspect Carpet Pad/Carpet and Provide Service
- Apply Necessary Treatments (Disinfectants/Deodorization)
- Utilize Advanced Drying and Monitoring Equipment
- Dispose of unsalvageable items
All of our technicians are IICRC certified and have extensive knowledge about our services and equipment. Call SERVPRO of Paris today! 903-784-2700
How To Safely Remove Odors, Kill Germs And Clean The Air
The Hydroxyl Generator is one of the most scientifically-advanced pieces of equipment we use to combat malodors and leave a property deodorized following biohazard, fire or water damage events.
The main benefit of using a true hydroxyl generator is that they are safe to use in occupied areas for deodorization purposes. For insurance companies and commercial businesses alike, they love this machine because it means less out of pocket expenses and henceforth, less business disruption!
These generators have been successfully tested on fires and other restoration and bio jobs, including protein fires, floods, dead body situations, skunk odors, pet urine odors, musty odors and many types of odors. However, it’s important to note that hydroxyl generators are not intended for use on mold remediation jobs where there is a large infestation on surfaces or behind walls. The established protocols should always be followed in these instances. But generators with good filtration are excellent for airborne microbial remediation where bacteria or fungi have become aerosolized.
Here’s a rundown of some additional facts in order to give you the inside scoop, should you ever need to reach out to us for smoke/soot deodorization needs:
How it Works:
- UVA rays are emitted from the titanium dioxide photocatalytic lamps (wow, that was a mouthful) where they then pass through a permanent anatase coated super reactor screen, forming electron hole pairs that react with water and oxygen in the air to form free electrons and hydroxyl radicals that then decompose and eliminate organic and inorganic gases and air pollutants. Wow, trying saying all that in one breath!
- Use on fire and flood damage restoration jobs
- Use to destroy odors from cigarette smoke, dead body, urine, garbage, airborne VOCs and more