Avoid Scams After Storm Damage
When your dealing with a natural disaster such as a storm, tornado, or hurricane, you can be sure that scammers will be around the corner. If the community has been affected the con-artist come to call. Most of us trust people willing to step in for the cause. We believe in our fellow man. Typically, they will offer to do work for a certain price, then ask for a portion of the payment up front-in cash. Then they use an excuse to leave and disappear forever. Here are some tips to avoid scams in a storm situation.
- Go local.
- Always get the proposal in writing
- Never pay more than one-third of the cost up front.
- Never let someone force you to make a quick decision.
- Don't pay in cash.
- Do not fall for the first offer that comes along
- Ask around to family and friends for a trusted company.
Scammers have no shame in taking from those in distress. A disaster can cause a lot of stress and scramble for help as soon as possible. Take your time and avoid being scammed.