Steps to help minimize and prevent further water damage.
There’s no such thing as a small disaster, especially when you have water damage in your home. Water damage can affect the value of your property and if not cleaned properly, may cause major problems over time. Don’t leave your property to chance, call SERVPRO of Paris. Consider the following steps to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for help to arrive.
Damage from Clean Water
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified professional to do so.
- Remove as much excess water possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture to a safe place.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water; electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets as they may cause staining.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, as there is potential for electrical shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet; do not enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Damage from Contaminated Water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air. Do not use household fans to dry the structure; air flow could spread contaminants.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to contaminated areas.